Tuesday, July 17, 2007

What Goes Around Comes Around....


Well, this past weekend was our 5 year wedding anniversary (woohoo!) and to celebrate we spent the weekend in good ol' Charm City, Baltimore, Maryland. (I really wanted to do a long weekend on a Caribbean island somewhere, but that wasn't possible after our unexpected trip to Morocco last month).

So, Baltimore is no island paradise, but we still had a wonderful time.....

Friday we went to see the Orioles play the Chicago White Sox (sorry, Chicagoans, I'm a Cubs fan and was rooting for the O's!). At one point I headed into a bathroom stall and there, sitting atop the toilet paper dispenser where a pair of really cute vintage-inspired (or were they vintage?) sunglasses. And, since I LOVE sunglasses (and pretty much collect them) and because I am not ashamed to admit that I do and will clean and then use/wear previously used items (from thrift stores, dumpsters, etc.) I immediately thought about stashing them in my purse. They looked cute enough, 70's style, big with metal arms...

As I stared up at the sunglasses and was thinking how they looked vintage I realized that if they were they could theoretically belong to some cute blue-haired old lady who has no idea that her shades are hip. I seriously contemplated this the entire time I was in the bathroom stall. Should I keep these found glasses? What if the little old lady who belonged to them came back to find them and they were gone? Would she even knew where she'd left them? Would she buy some bad Orioles hat to keep the sun from her eyes during the game? Would she be sad for having lost them? I just couldn't stand the thought of that, since I love little old ladies and grandma types, and decided to leave the sunglasses where they were....but not without picking them up to further inspect them before I left to wash my hands.

I opened the arms and there it was...proof that these probably didn't belong to someone's grandmother, that they were not vintage, that they were not some secret found fashion treasure, and that all those fashion cliches are true "what's old is new again" or "what goes around comes around." Stamped inside the arm of the sunglasses was one short phrase: Forever21.