Tuesday, August 07, 2007

The Origins of Some Selected Creations Part III:

Yup, it’s that time again for me to share with all of you lovely readers some of the interesting stories behind some of the pieces I create. Now, let me just say that I am usually not all for artists divulging the reasons or meanings behind their art, as I think part of what makes art art is what the viewer/experiencer brings to it. What the person who sees the art thinks and makes of it for themselves, how that person fits (or doesn’t fit) that work of art into his or her own world.

With that said, here are some more origins of PinkBird Creations jewelry:

First, I drew these PinkBirds onto shrinky dink plastic, melted them, and voilà! Here are these fun PinkBird logo earrings. When I was living in Hawaii, the awesome girl behind Indie Honolulu ran a review of my shop on her (former) site, in which she included these earrings. (How nice, I still blush just thinking about it).

Next, I have a whole bunch of goodies made with shells or coral. These beautiful, natural things were found on different beaches on the Hawaiian islands of Maui, Lanai or Oahu. Let me just say for the record that I have some really amazing PinkBird helpers. My sister came to live with us for awhile in Hawaii and she helped dig up some lovely cowrie shells on Maui. Also, my husband is a super-happy-fun PinkBird helper and went so far as to throw on his snorkel gear and really dive into finding lovely treasures to make creations out of. I guess I can also mention that a really cool girl I know (one of my sister's best friends) bought one of these necklaces and I've been told that she wears it all the time, which makes me so happy! I'm happy when my customers are happy!


Here are a few pieces of jewelry created from recycled objects. The earrings on the were part of an old keyboard we had that mysteriously stopped working, so I found some of the keys a better life as a pair of earrings (I also have other keyboard jewelry too!)

I have also done a little more recycling in these clock-hand earrings on the right. These are actually some of my favorite earrings because they are so long and dangly that they are kind of dressy (at least for me) and I love the element of surprise that they are recycled clock hands. Fabulous! And one last recycled pair of earrings that I'll mention are these cute brown earrings that are made with recycled magazine pages. Yes, you read that right. I handmade these paper beads myself and then made them into earrings.

And, finally, as this will be a short "Origins" blog this time, we have some wonderful items that I created from beads I bought at the cutest bead shop in Cairns, Australia as well as in Sydney, Australia. After snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef, we spent forever in the bead shop in Cairns and even my husband helped pick out beads that is until he got bored and waited outside (but still, what a great helper!).


And rather than leave you on that note, I'll leave you with one of my favorite photos that I took in Australia of the Sydney Opera House. While on a ferry across the harbor I snapped this photo from aboard the little boat with an inexpensive disposable black and white camera.


Enjoy and g'day, Bekki