Wednesday, August 08, 2007

PinkBird's Picture: Tōshō-gū Shrine, Tokyo

In an effort to add a bit more "travel" to my blog, I have decided to feature one of my favorite pictures from my travels. This series of posts will simply be called "PinkBird's Picture," obviously. Anyway, this first one is from a Tōshō-gū Shrine in Tokyo, Japan.



We walked from Tokyo’s Ueno Station to Ueno Park were we visited a Tōshō-gū Shrine. We had the grounds of this Shinto Shrine to ourselves. The silent peaceful energy of the Shrine transferred itself upon me and I strolled through the area in quiet self reflection. It is said that the original Shrine was built here in 1627; I find it incredible that it still stands so beautifully and mysteriously. This serene Tōshō-gū Shrine is definitely a special place to pause and contemplate rather than rush and scrutinize. Though it’s located in downtown Tokyo, it feels far away from the busy glamour that is Tokyo. In this photo the Tōshō-gū Shrine takes the background to the beautiful collection of small wooden votive tablets, or ema, that hang here bearing the wishes and petitions of those who came before us.