Monday, October 29, 2007

PinkBird's Picture: Byodo-In Temple, Hawaii


I photographed this Buddha statue at the Byodo-In Temple nestled in the Ko'olau Mountain range in the Valley of the Temples on Oahu, Hawaii. The beautiful red temple is a scale replica of a temple built in Uji, Japan. Surrounding the amazing temple are serene gardens and colorful fishponds. This picture of a happy Buddha serves to remind me of the content, calm, and peaceful feeling that would envelop me each time I visited. When I lived in Hawaii I would sneak away to this quiet place when I just needed to get away. To think, to center myself, to reconnect. The sacred temple, in both the man-made beauty of the statues and structures as well as the natural beauty of the mountains surrounding it, always leaves me with a spirit of inner peace and happiness.