Saturday, November 17, 2007

PinkBird's Picture: Sunset on the Arc de Triomphe, Paris, France


The Arc de Triomphe in Paris stands in the center of the Place Charles de Gaull the famous European traffic circle. The Arc de Triomphe is so much larger in person than I could have imagined. Earlier that day I had taken photos of the Arc from other angles, but it was this picture, taken from the side, that I treasure most. This is a view one does not often see--is it because it's a bit blurry? Or the way part of the photo is whited out by the sun? It seems frozen in time. I took this photograph as we were walking away from the monument just as the sun was beginning its descent. We stood still, silent watching the sun set, and the traffic circle around the gigantic monument. Then, we walked down the Champs-Elysées to a charming French café where I had the most delicious salad with walnuts and baked goat-cheese that I still can taste today.