Wednesday, December 12, 2007

PinkBird's Picture: Musical Celebration in Tagmout, Morocco


The whole scene is forever etched in my mind: the magical musical celebration we were invited to attend in Tagmout, Morocco, a lush Berber village in the mountains. Berber village men wore beautiful royal blue ensembles, the smell of mint tea and cigarettes floated in the desert air, while the veiled women sitting upstairs watching the whole gala from above, occasionally calling out and often giggling. Skinny cats lounged in the shade beneath the table where I sat tapping my feet, just waiting to be invited to dance. Finally, the Ahouach musicians invited me to fully participate in the traditional Berber celebration--one took my hand and lead me into the circle. We all held hands while dancing in this circle. It was a circle full of energy. We clapped rhythmically. The music was hypnotizing. Being a guest for this private Ahouach musical festival was probably both the most incredible and most humbling celebration I have ever been lucky enough to attend.

The above is basically what I submitted to a travel photo contest sponsored by Conde Nast Traveler magazine...and, while they still haven't announced a winner, they did decide to use my picture as their default gallery picture...which may not be much but it's exciting to me!