Sunday, February 03, 2008

stuff.

I read an article recently, which only reinforced some of the feelings I already had about "stuff" and consumerism (which is both hard to deal with and at times contradictory to owning a web-store, I know). Some days I feel like my closet is over flowing, or that I end up buying things that come with entirely too much packaging and well...it's all just stuff. So much of which I do not need or even want. Part of some new "goals" for myself involve acquiring less stuff.

I think a lot of people are familiar with strange loss of energy or just the drainage that can come from being in a place (a cubicle, apartment, car, office, etc.) that is really cluttered. Though sometimes clutter and "stuff" can be hard to avoid I really believe it can drain your energy and some how gives off "negative vibes." And, having moved around a lot and around the world I end up living in places that were bigger or smaller than my previous residence so, every time I move I end up feeling like I own too many things or not. Anyway...

A few years back I began asking myself a few very important questions before buying anything (aside from food, really). These questions went something like, "how will my life improve if I buy this?" "How will other's lives improve if I buy/own this?" "Can buying/owning this change my life/other's lives and how?" Asking questions like this can really cut down on the amount of stuff you own (or that owns you), it helps you save money, and helps you decide/realize what it really important to you. Anyway, you can read the article yourself HERE.

If you're really interested in the costs behind things we buy/use everyday, this book, Stuff: The Secret Lives of Ordinary Things is also really insightful.

So, with all of that said, I'm off to rummage through and donate some of my not-often-used things that I no longer need. (I've found that preschools, especially private, non-profit ones can usually use some of the random supplies I no longer need/use).

Travel light,
Bekki