Thursday, April 17, 2008

PinkBird's Travel Pointers (Volume IV):

It seems that a lot of people I know are in the traveling mood...my sister is going to Belize, a friend just got back from New Orleans, and another is planning a cruise. So, with travel on my mind and the minds of those around me, it must be high time for another edition of PinkBird's Travel Tips:

1. Remember, just because you’re traveling doesn’t mean you’ll automatically become someone new--with a new fashion sense. It’s fine to want to blend in to the place you’re visiting, but just because you’re traveling doesn’t mean you should back all those “what-if” or “someday” clothes that hang in your closet. If you never wear it when you’re home, chances are you won’t wear it while cruising the streets of Venice, or hitting flea markets in New England.

2. Regardless of where you are, when you’re checking into your hotel pick up a business card, notepad, or pen from the counter with the hotel’s name, address and phone number on it. Keep this with you, you never know when you’ll be riding with a cabbie who doesn’t know where you’re hotel is located, or if you have had a long night and simply don’t remember the address.

3. Travel with a unique wallet or coin pouch (in addition to your money belt/clip, and of course don't keep all your money in one place). This is not something I would have thought to do intentionally, but a few years ago while on an extremely crowded bus in Mexico I was standing, holding the bar, being jostled and practically groped. As the bus began to slow for a stop, I looked up and saw that the man who had been next to me was holding my change-purse/wallet in his hand. I’d been pick-pocketed. I shouted and grabbed at him, and got my wallet back (much to the surprise of the man and the people on the bus). I think it helped that I had a distinctive wallet.

4. If you haven’t heard of Seat Guru, now you have. Go to seatguru.com to help you find the best seat on your flight.

5. Today's last tip is actually something my dad told me about. You see, we have backpacks/travel packs that we love and that we've had for years (and I don't think Kelty makes them anymore). We've taken these bags everywhere! When the something on inside lining of my bag started to wear away my dad suggested using Shoe Goo to fix it. I simply used an old paint brush, and painted it over any spots that were thin or had small tears. Good as new! A few things to note if you do decided to use Shoe Goo to fix your luggage or pack. Use it outside or in a very well ventilated area. Also, it does carry a Prop 65 warning so use it with care.

(For more PinkBird's Pointers, click here).