Sunday, June 22, 2008

Hotel Review: Eugenia Hotel, Quito Ecuador

Edit:
Here is a copy of the hotel review I mentioned in my previous post...

“Simple, Friendly Hotel”

Eugenia Hotel, Quito Ecuador:

We stayed at this hotel twice, before and after a trip in the Galapagos. The price was great, and the hotel was simple and clean. The decor was all over the place--but they were trying, and it was nice (and a little tacky), somehow it reminded me of a European hotel.

The front desk staff was really nice and most spoke English. I felt they were also quite honest and even frank with us when we asked about places to eat or the area. One night when going just around the corner to eat (at Spaghetti's or Metro Cafe, I believe it was called) the front desk attendant told us that unless we were going in a large group, it may be best to take a cab. (If you've done your Quito research, you will find that most parts of Quito's New Town are not quite safe to walk alone at night). We ended up going in a group, and we were fine, and I felt safe. I felt quite safe at the hotel as well (The hotel has a front gate that locks, a security guard 24/7, and the hotel's front door was locked at night--when returning at night you had to ring the bell to get in).

When going out, the front desk would gladly hold your room key there so that you didn't have to bring it along--or risk losing it, which I thought was great.

We actually stayed in 2 different rooms, both on the 3rd floor. The first time we were there we had a simple room, bed, chair, large closet, TV (with cable, and some English stations). The shower was luke-warm and had a lot of pressure.
The next time we stayed there we were in another room, which was right next door to our previous room, but was nicer. It was bigger, with larger windows. The bathroom was also bigger, and warm, and was a shower only, no tub.

The noise from the street can be a bit much, I'm not sure they have rooms away from the street, but it could be worth asking for. Seriously.

The cafe/bar was nice, we ate breakfast (which was included for us) there, fruit, fresh juice, bread, etc. (We are vegetarians, so that it what we ate, others had eggs and meat). We were also able to get drinks/beer from the bar quite easily.

There was free internet also, though it was quite slow.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay.

Date of Stay: May 2008
Visit was for: Hobbies / interest / culture
Age group: 29
  • My ratings for this hotel are:
    • 5 of 5 stars Value
    • 4 of 5 stars Rooms
    • 4 of 5 stars Location
    • 5 of 5 stars Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Service
Would I recommend this hotel to my best friend?
absolutely!

I recommend this hotel for:
Young singles, Older travelers, Tourists

I do not recommend this hotel for:
An amazing honeymoon, Great pool scene

I selected this hotel as a top choice for:
Museums / Cultural / Historical sites, Other




*I should add: These are my opinions, I am not a paid journalist nor do I receive any compensation from the company named above. This blog is merely a record of my opinions as I wonder and create in this world. This review was also published at tripadvisor.com