Saturday, July 19, 2008

Hotel Review: Loews Hotel, Philadelphia, PA

Well, our trip to Philadelphia over the 4th of July weekend was great...as promised, here's a review of our stay:

Loews Philadelphia Hotel

Overall our experience at the Loews Hotel was great. We usually like to stay at the Westin (which is fantastic) but I decided to give Priceline a chance and booked a room for only $95.

A few days before our arrival I called to verify our room and also to make sure that my Loews First number was listed on the reservation. The woman said it was and asked what "amenity" I would like (Loews First members get their choice of a variety of amenities upon arrival, like wine, beer, water and fruit, cookies and milk, etc). The woman also noted that I had booked via Priceline, but seemed as though this was a non-issue.

When we arrived, the small lobby was crowded--lots of families, children, and pets. I was then told that despite being a Loews First member I would not receive my choice of amenity (I had chosen beer and nuts) since I had booked via Priceline. That was disappointing, but didn't spoil our stay.

Also at check in we were asked if we would like turn down service and we said "yes." However, during our 2 night stay we got no turn down service at all. The housekeeping service was also a bit questionable, as one day we were out of our room all day--returning around 4 to a messy room. We left again and returned after midnight and our room had been made up, which was a relief, since I was worried that it wasn't going to be clean--something you shouldn't need to worry about at a "4-Star" hotel.

The hotel is located in the old PSFS building, which is very identifiable as you are walking around the city. The whole hotel has a "hip and modern" yet retro feel. Our room--on the 15th floor was near a fire-stairwell, so I think it may have been bigger than most rooms, it was quite spacious with high ceilings. The desk/dresser was scuffed and scratched, but that's no big deal to me. There was a refrigerator in the room--no minibar though.

At night the hotel's restaurant, Sole Food becomes a night club (at least it did the weekend we stayed there) so there were alot of people in the lobby that were dressed for "clubbin," and that had been drinking--I didn't have an issue with this, but perhaps people looking for "family friendly" may.

If you are planning a relaxing weekend, or a "grown up" hotel you may want to look elsewhere. Though this hotel has a grown-up vibe, they also allow kids to stay free, (not sure why, as they don't seem to have much "kid friendly" stuff to do, even the pool is an indoor lap pool). They are also very pet-friendly so there were children and pets all over.

The 33rd floor is like an open observatory for guests to enjoy the view (they have private functions there also). We were able to bring our drinks there and watch fireworks and take in the city view, which was lovely.

Another thing worth mentioning is that valet parking at Loews is about $38/day with unlimited 24 hour leaving/re-entry. There is a self-park lot across the street (on 12th Street) for about $18/day, but they do close, which means you may not be able to get your car when you want it, but check first. I also don't think--and could be wrong--that this is a Loews owned lot.

The Loews has a great location--we walked everywhere (though I find the Westin's location better). It's a good (long) walk to the Art Museum and also to Penn's Landing, and everything in between.

Date of Stay: July 2008
  • My ratings for this hotel are:
    • 5 of 5 stars Value
    • 3 of 5 stars Rooms
    • 3 of 5 stars Location
    • 2 of 5 stars Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Service

*I should add: These are my opinions, I am not a paid journalist nor do I receive any compensation from the company named above. This blog is merely a record of my opinions as I wonder and create in this world. This review was also published at tripadvisor.com