Saturday, September 13, 2008

Homework Time...

No, I have not fallen into a Fall semester black hole...though it feels like it some days. Right now I am working on a 3D Design project involving melting crayons (more on that later), taking pictures with great and shallow depths of field for photography, and for Art History, I'm writing a paper comparing a work of art from the Ancient Near East period and one from the Egyptians. And, the paper and chart I had to do for my other class, well I finished that last week. Fun stuff, really.

My biggest concern right now is my 3D Design class. So, with that said, I will include some quotes and friendly reminders to myself from David Bayles and Ted Orland's book, Art & Fear: Observations On the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking. My drawing teacher recommended this book to me last Spring and I have since devoured it (and should probably reread it):

"Art is like beginning a sentence before you know its ending. The risks are obvious: you may never get to the end of the sentence at all--of having gotten there, you may not have said anything. This is probably not a good idea in public speaking,
but it's an excellent idea in making art."

“To require perfection is to invite paralysis. The pattern is predictable:
as you see error in what you have done, you steer your work toward what you imagine you can do perfectly. You cling ever more tightly to what you already know you can do – away from risk and exploration, and possibly further from the work of your heart. You find reasons to procrastinate, since to
not work is to not make mistakes.”


“What you need to know about the next piece is contained in the last piece. The place to learn about your materials is in the last use of your materials.
The place to learn about your execution is in your execution.
Put simply, your work is your guide: a complete, comprehensive,
limitless reference book on your work.”


"Old work tells you what you were paying attention to then; new work comments on the old by pointing out what you were not previously paying attention to."

“Look at your work and it tells you how it is when you hold back or when you embrace. When you are lazy, your art is lazy; when you hold back, it holds back; when you hesitate, it stands there staring, hands in its pockets. But when you commit, it comes on like blazes.”

--David Bayles and Ted Orland
Art & Fear: Observations On the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking