Monday, January 19, 2009

When I Say: "O," You Say: "BAMA!"

Yesterday we braved the cold (I think I was wearing everything layer-able in my closet) and the crowds to attend Barack Obama's "We Are One" Inaugural kick-off concert. One of the most interesting aspects of the whole day was the awesome amount of Obama bootleg merch...and some of the things people were selling (using Barack's image of course) were crazy, we saw Obama belts, ties, hats, and scarves, magnets, earrings, bags, and miles of posters and buttons Someone was also peddling Barack disposable cameras--for $20! (and don't you just recycle it when you're done anyway, so what's the point of that?). We even saw someone with Obama water. One of the best things I saw was a man selling small bottles of Obama cologne (what does change smell like?). But, my absolute favorite kitschy souvenir (that actually made me wish I'd thought of it) was man selling a plastic wallet with Barack Obama's picture on it, below it it said, "Change." Genius. This must be part of a new economic stimulus plan...plaster the new President's face on anything and it will sell.

Here are some pictures of the festivities: