1. I do not feel my age—I know I’m not “old” but I still feel about 22, yeah!
2. Driving into the city (Chicago) with my Mom when I was about 4 years old, my Mom pointed to something in the distance and said, “There’s the Sears Tower.” I sat up in the backseat and looked out the window. Being that I was pretty young, I was still working on/learning spatial awareness. I didn’t realize she was pointing to something along the skyline that was still fairly far away; I looked out and saw a nearby smoke stack. I believed that that smoke stack was the Sears Tower until probably 2 years later when I went on a fieldtrip to the Sears Tower. (And even before that trip I kept thinking, “How are we all going to fit in there?”)
3. I really believe there is magic in the Universe. Not the “pull a rabbit out of a hat” kind of magic but in synchronicity, coincidences, déjà vu, luck, the law of attraction, etc.
4. I think that WTMD, 89.7, really is “radio for music people. It’s the best radio station ever. (Think college radio + NPR). If you live around here, you NEED to be listening to it. And, if you don’t, you need to stream it on their website: http://wtmd.org/. It just may change your life. (Feel free to insert your own “Garden State” reference here).
5. My favorite color is pink.
6. Speaking of colors, my hair has been just about every color in some way or another except for black. It’s been blond the longest.
7. I got my first tattoo when I was in high school and tried to hide it from my parents. That only worked for a few months.
8. I wasn’t planning to get my tongue pierced. I just happened to be in a tattoo shop with my husband (we were dating at the time) and some girl was there getting hers done. I started talking to her and was like “I always wanted to do that…” and one of her friends said, “Why don’t you?” That was in 1998 and I still have it.
9. I have traveled to (or lived on) every Continent except Antarctica—and that trip is in the works.
10. I know how lucky I am that I was able to live in Hawaii as long as I did, but almost every day I daydream about moving back. (That plan is in the works as well, or at least moving back abroad).
11. A few years ago, both my husband and I secretly bought each other “The Clapper” as a funny Christmas gift. Opening them was surprising and hilarious, and we totally used one of them (until it broke).
12. I have the most wonderful friends and family. I love them and am grateful to have them.
13. My life is really wonderful, not perfect, but happy and lovely. I’m thankful for this too.
14. The adjectives I use the most are: awesome, super, and fantastic. I get strange looks sometimes when I tell someone, say, at the gas station, “Thanks, that’s super!” or when I say to a bartender, “fantastic!” if they have one of my favorite beers. I also use the word cool a lot, but usually in a sarcastic way. “That was so cool….”
15. When I was about 15 or 16, I was backstage at a show when Bon Jovi told me that I had a nice smile. I replied to this by rolling my eyes and turning around. I wasn’t much of a fan so I didn’t know who he was and just thought he was some creepy old man trying to hit on me.
16. I seriously love the woman that does my eyebrows. She is amazing and gives the best aromatherapy temple massages. I wish everyone I know could get their eyebrows done with her.
17. I don't eat meat. I'm happy I'm not a living grave. I get annoyed when a million people ask me why I'm a vegetarian. I should also add, “Yes, I get enough protein!” and “No, I wasn’t born a vegetarian but have been one for more than half my life!” (And, that if you killed and prepared what you are eating with your own hands, well, that’s another story).
18. I love to read; specifically, books that will make a difference in my life. The most recent (by recent I mean in the last few years) books to change my life (and the ones that have and will always sit on my nightstand): “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho, “The Mission of Art” by Alex Grey, “The Little Prince” by Antoine de Saint Exupéry, “In Search of the World: A Traveler’s Almanac” a CWC book, “Skinny Legs and All” by Tom Robbins, “The Dharma Bums” by Jack Kerouac, “No Boundary” by Ken Wilber….wait, I need to stop, I’m not writing a book of book titles.
19. I went to the first two Bonnaroo fests…now I think it has gotten too big (and Phish playing there this year?!? Jeez. Don’t get me started).
20. I’m celebrating my 30th birthday in Vegas (in April) with my friends…!!!
21. I hardly use the degree I have…which is why I’m getting another one.
22. I make things. I adorn things. I love being in Art School. I am so thankful that I am able to follow this dream and feel so special that so many people support me in doing so!
23. I subscribe to a ridiculous amount of travel magazines (most of which were gifts). I get Travel + Leisure, National Geographic Traveler, and BudgetTravel. And, because that’s not enough, I occasionally buy National Geographic Adventure.
24. I love to recycle—all kinds of stuff from clothing to tin cans!
25. Growing up we had two super nice (goofy even) Doberman Pincher dogs.
26. I don’t really like getting my haircut. I used to love going to the salon, but now I find it’s just annoying. While it’s nice to have someone else wash your hair and all, I can only force myself to get my haircut about twice a year!
27. I don’t like to be cold. (Funny, too, since I grew up in Chicago). I would take sauna like temperatures over anything below 40 degrees any day. Give me warmth and I’ll be ok.
28. I made a list of things to do before I turn 30, and have actually done quite a few, (but, not all) of them.
29. I tend to forget movies right after I see them. (Unless they really move me). I don’t watch heaps of movies, and don’t often watch a movie more than once but even some of my favorite recent movies like “Garden State” and” The Royal Tenenbaums,” which I have actually seen multiple times, I don’t remember many lines or scenes. I think my brain just isn’t hardwired that way.
30. I did a list like this a few months ago. I tried to keep this list different; you can read it here.