Monday, August 31, 2009

Virgin FreeFest


Public Enemy


The National

WeezerGirl Talk

Franz Ferdinand
The price (free!) wasn't the best part of the festival (although it certainly didn't hurt). Despite arriving late--because traffic and parking were crazy and missing 2 acts I really wanted to see-St. Vincent and Mates of State, we had an awesome time! The fest had free shuttles to far away parking (which was also free), all kinds of free give-aways and a really chill yet ready to party vibe. Plus, being at the cozy and arty Merriweather Post Pavilion helped too. There was plenty of shade and space to relax--much in earshot of one of the 3 stages. I was able to catch at least some of every band I wanted to see and every set was awesome!

I still can't believe it was free! I mean, over 20 acts, 11+ hours of music, heaps of crazy festival stuff (like contests, karaoke, a fortune teller, booths for all kinds of causes, funky boutiques, Richard Branson and other celebs serving drinks, skydivers, and all kinds of social awareness!). It was, for me at least, a crazy dance party all day long--just what I needed as the Summer of Awesome is winding down!