Sunday, May 23, 2010

Surprise Graduation Party (& Handmade Decorations)

Well, the good-ol' hubby graduated last weekend! Yay! I spent a good chunk of my time (between work and school) making decorations for his graduation party--and since it was a surprise, I had to keep it on the down-low, which was pretty difficult since I was excited about what I was making....so, without further adieu--here are some photos of the handmade decor:


I made a colorful banner with "technology" themed paper and black tissue paper pom poms (which are only slightly visible in the photo above) using this tutorial from Martha Stewart. I also made "Lemon Blossom" mini-cakes which are so yummy (and are something like this).

I made fancy cupcake picks to stick into the little cakes as well. First, I Photoshopped a picture of a graduation cap onto a picture of the guy, then in InDesign, I created small circles, some with the guy's picture, and some that said, "Yay!" or other fun things.  I then had these printed at a print shop (because their printer is better than mine). I used a circular punch to cut out the circles. Then, using more of the "technology" themed craft paper I punched out larger circles which I mounted the circles with the pictures or words onto. Then, I sandwiched a toothpick between a circle with a picture (on the front) and a circle with words (for the back). It was time-consuming but well worth it in cuteness!


In addition to the Lemon Blossoms, I made some of the guy's favorite cookies and other treats. I also got some Smarties because, well, I thought it was funny. You know, he's graduating and he's such a "smarty" and all.  I also used our Button Maker to turn the same images/circles I used for the cupcake picks into cute little buttons for guests to wear.

I also hung the graduation cards by a simple ribbon and clothespins--some of which were topped off with more of the photo circles. I used some of the extra "technology" themed scrapbook paper to make a paper chain as well as a sort of  "doilie" for the cookie plate.

Overall, it was a big surprise to my husband, and all the guests were impressed--and had a fantastic evening!

Be inspired & create a great day,