Monday, June 21, 2010

Kitchen Tray: A Tutorial (How To)...

For quite some time, I had been looking for something to decoupage for my kitchen. I was thinking tiles or trivets when one day I found a plain wooden tray at a thrift store. So, home with me it came. (Inspired by these coasters from Prudent Baby to find this cute paper at Paper Source--and later this tray, and this tray: I didn't follow either of these specific tutorials,  but they seem to be super detailed and could be helpful if you've never done this sort of thing yourself).

I began by painting the tray with several coats of light blue craft paint (with drying time in between coats). Then, after measuring the inside of the tray I cut my paper to size. Next, I used the regular Mod Podge to adhere the paper to the tray. )Paint the Mod Podge on with a small sponge brush in even coats). After about 30 minutes I put one coat of Mod Podge over the paper.

After this dried, I covered the entire tray with Hard Coat Mod Podge which I'd never used before (it's supposed to be better for highly used items/furniture or something, which seemed fitting for a kitchen where it might have coffee spilled on it). Then, after this dried it wasn't as smooth and glossy as I wanted so I sprayed it with a few coats of clear coat (in a well ventilated area). Even after all of this, the part of the tray with the paper still wasn't to my liking when the guy mentioned something about sealing it with resin or varnish--then I remembered I bought some EnviroTex Lite years ago that I'd never used. Following the instructions in the package, I coated the paper with the resin--and I love it! It sealed it glossy and smooth and it looks so professional. (Don't be surprised if I begin coating everything in resin!) For this really simple tray and some experimenting, this project did take a few days, primarily due to drying or setting times.Overall, I'm ridiculously happy about how it turned out and can't wait to do some more projects like this.

Until next time, happy crafting and take it light!
XOXO, Bekki